Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Rona...and the Virus

Might be an interesting band name.  Think we are still too close to call it a "cool" band name.  As I think over the world events from November until today - March 18, 2020 - the word that comes to mind is "unbelievable."  It is such an unbelievable time for our world. Globally, we are struggling with a pandemic that knows no bounds.

This week, I have seen our schools closed, local businesses restricted, restaurants shuttered, and grocery store shelves emptied.  I have changed how I approach different situations as well.  I took advantage of the Costco delivery option and the Walmart Pickup.  I was nervous to let an elderly woman use my shopping cart after me before I had a chance to wipe it off.  I have been a hand-washing crazy woman who's consistent phrase is "Did you wash your hands?" to the three children.

And speaking of those three children - wow have their worlds been upended!  They shifted from pretty solid daily routines to no routine at all with two parents who are trying to figure out how to delivery online instruction to their own students as well as online instruction to the three of them!  The 5-year-old has been the hardest to manage.  He doesn't get what's happening.  He just knows he doesn't get to go to school.  On one hand, he thinks it's awesome we have all these home days, but - on the other - he really doesn't want Mom and Dad to try and actually teach him something! 

The kicker is - there aren't even any places to take them AND we were "blessed" with a late snowfall.  No Exploration Works. No Carousel.  No Historical Society.  No Library.  Nothing but the great outdoors, which we are taking advantage of.  And our own imaginations! Scary thought.

But even with all this disturbance and craziness and occasional panic - there is still light.  The residents of communities across Spain take a moment each night to collectively clap for their health care workers.  The individuals of Italy sing with each other from their balconies.  Neighbors have come together to help with food supplies.  There is always a light within the darkness.  I thought today to my husband - what if this is our reset button?  What if this is our opportunity to take a pause, reflect, see what is truly valuable, then move forward? 

I know this time won't be family bonding and roses for everyone.  I have more than a few students that I am concerned for and worry about but what if - as a global society - we come out of this more aware of each other, less aware of the trending Tweet, and on better ground morally and ethically and faithfully. 

What if...

No comments:

Post a Comment