Friday, March 27, 2020

Shelter in Place

Today was the last day of "freedom".  Our Governor ordered a Shelter-In-Place order last night, which means we are hunkering down.  No going out without a specific purpose and restricting general movement.  We can go on hikes, etc. But we need to be aware of how often we go out in general.

This is okay. 

We also had our first death from COVID-19.  A 77-year-old man from Bull Lake, Lincoln County. 

He is why we need to stay home and away from others. Try to flatten the curve.  There's going to be people who balk at it, so that makes it more important for those of us who are rule followers to do it.  We can do our part by staying home.

This shouldn't be too difficult for us since we've been doing it for about two weeks now.  We'll just keep it up although I do think we are starting to feel the strain of being together 24/7.  I have a cold, which is incredibly annoying and not making it easier to deal with the whiny moments from the kids.

My bigger concern is a selfish one - what comes after spring break? How do I teach my students the actual content online?  Keep it simple while trying to cover a massive book like To Kill a Mockingbird or The Great Gatsby?  I really don't know if it's possible.  The guys in the PLC don't seem to be very worried.  I'm freaking out. 

I'm really struggling with it right now because the spring semester is my favorite to connect with the students.  I really see the connections being made and the learning happening and now I'm going to miss out on it.  So how do I recreate it online?  What is essential?  It's the themes and the writing and the skills.  So what's essential from it?

Sigh. 

Someone should just tell me what I'm teaching! AGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment